Kea or Tzia is a beautiful Cycladian island located apx 16 n.m. from Lavrion Port. Its proximity to Athens has made Kea a popular weekend destination for yachters and the Athenians who have their summer houses there.
It counts on:
- An interesting Archaeological Museum
- Spots of unique natural beauty
- 36 km of signed paths. Some of them are ancient and about 65% of them are stone paved
- Interesting monasteries, churches and chappels
Kea does not have mass tourism and is recommended for family and yachting vacations. It has a quite interesting nightlife which is concentrated mainly in the 2-3 clubs-bars found in the picturesque Vourkari. However Kea's nights are more relaxed compared to the other popular Greek islands.
It has a mountaineous cycladian landscape with a number of verdant areas, a few valleys and water springs.
YACHTING IN KEA (TZIA): Kea is a popular yachting destination beacause it is the Cycladian island found closest to Athens (16 n.m. from Lavrion Port). Moreover it has one of the safest natural harbours in the Aegean, the Agios Nikolaos bay - in which Korissia (main port) and the picturesque Vourkari are found - and numerous protected coves and beaches.
WEATHER - CLIMATE: The weather in Kea is mild with apx 310 days of sunshine per year. Rainfalls are few, while snowfalls and frosts are are. The climate is quite dry, mainly in the summer, but the island has springs which make it one of the most verdant islands in Cyclades. Therefore it may sometimes get humid and arid.
In the summer the weather is warm and sunny with temperatures around 25-35 C. The sea is perfect for swimming from June until September and sometimes until October. However, during the summer, strong North winds, known as meltemia prevail in the whole Aegean Sea, mainly from the end of July until the end of August. Meltemia are considered as a "bless" during hot summer days. However, they may last for days and may blow up to 7-8 beaufort, causing problems to boats. During June, the first weeks of July and early Seprtember the winds are usually calmer and ideal tempertures often prevail.
In the winter the island's temperature rarely falls below 8 C. During the spring, thousands of flowers "blossom" creating a paradise setting. Autumn is calm with few rains and quite warm temperatures ranging from 10-20C.
- Beautiful unspoiled cycladian landscapes combined with some vegetation
- Proximity to Athens and other Cycladian and Saronic islands
- Small sized "classy" island without mass tourism
- Numerous protected, not organised, secluded coves and sandy beaches. Kea's beaches may not be as impressive as those of the near by Kythnos, Mykonos, Milos, Naxos or Ios, but they are still beautiful with crystal clear waters.
- Offers: Few picturesque villages & harbours, important history, archaeological sites, monasteries, trekking paths
- Nice reasturants, tavernas, cafes and bars.
- Yachting friendly (safe harbour) but not fully organised
- Characterised as a "weekend destination". Cosmopolitan during the weekends, relaxed in weekdays.
- Has a few - but interesting - options for entertainment and nightlife.
- Ideal for smaller boats, due to its numerous small coves and beaches and its proximity to Athens.
- Strong Meltemi winds prevail mainly from end of July until the end of August
- It's small size and its "relaxed" character offers quite limited optios for a longer stay.
- Difficult to find a mooring place in Vourkari and a car/motor-bike for rent in peak weekends.
RESTAURANTS in KEA (TZIA) on Google Map with Photos & Description
ANCHORAGES in KEA (TZIA) on Google Map with Nautical Map, Photos & Description
All BEACHES in KEA (TZIA) on Google Map with Photos & Description